Thursday, February 26, 2009

Heart Rate Monitors




I used to use the heart rate monitors on the cardio machines but I stopped when they started reading out 220. How can that possibly be? For a lab in one of my classes recently I used a more accurate heart rate monitor, one with a strap that goes around the chest and a watch that reads out your result. I was much relieved to find out my heart rate only went up to 193. So why should you try one out? 
Here are some reasons: 
  • They are more accurate then the ones on the machines most of the time.
  • Help you work out more efficiently, make sure you are not slacking off or pushing yourself too hard.
  • Easy to use and not uncomfortable.
  • Make exercising safer by alerting you if your heart rate becomes too high. 


4 comments:

  1. I think heart monitors are a pretty cool tool people can use, as an avid runner I have many friends who use them during their runs outside because since they aren’t inside at a gym on a machine that is telling them how far they have run, what their heartrate is, and how many colories they have burned, the heart monitor can do it for them. And although you make many good points about them in your bog the big downside to them is their price, especially if you want a good accurate one. But if you got the money, I would say go get one because they are a pretty cool tool to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think heart monitors really are a helpful toolf for someone to follow especially when trying to figure out when theyre overdoing it. you really put it in perspective for me when telling me that the constant 220 rating im seeing isnt accurate. it really had me worried!
    btw, im glad you had to look up fartlek haha! woo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that heart monitors are a really good way to see if you are working out enough but not overdoing it. I know that it would be helpful to know whether or not I should push myself more during workouts or if I am running too hard. I think it would be interesting to find out what my heart rate was during a workout, since when you use a machine they are not accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never had one of those but it really interesting the information that they bring. I'm going to buy one. Thank's

    ReplyDelete