Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Shin Splints


Anyone who has ever had shin splints knows that they can be extremely painful. Here is what they actually are, "the muscles swell and puts pressure on the fascia that covers the muscles in the lower leg leading to pressure and pain."(http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/leg_injuries/a/leg2.htm). If shin splints go untreated and the activity that caused them is continuously repeated it can lead to stress fractures. I have them for the second time now and was researching what I could do to help them. Here is what I found from a variety websites:
New shoes with shock support
Stretching
Strengthening exercises
Icing the shins before and after exercise
If you have any other suggestions for how to improve them let me know. 

4 comments:

  1. It's so ironic that you posted about this topic because we were just talking about this! About three weeks ago I got my first ever encounter with shin splints and I never want them again. I thought my shin was exploding I was in that much pain! You should always remember that your shoes take a lot of beating throughout the day, especially if you use them for phyical activity. This means that you should buy new shoes about every six or so months to prevent these nasty shin splints from happening! Good info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got shin spints freshman year when I ran track for WSC...wow I have broken my right tibia twice and nothing could compare to the pain that the shin splints caused. I never knew how they were actually caused so thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is good to know because I have one like two days ago and know I now how to deal with the pain. Thank's for de info Molly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello,
    i used to get shin splints when i was in high school because my school had an awful track and on top of the we would run inside sometimes so that was bad on our shins as well. I recommend buying new sneakers, try to go to a running store because they will look at your feet, the way you walk, etc, and see what shoes will prevent such issues and also be comfortable as well. Icing and something like advil would be good too, as well as stretching. hope this help!

    ReplyDelete